Investigation of aflatoxins contamination in herbal materia medica in a Taiwan pharmaceutical factory
During the years 2005–2016, a total of 1067 samples for 24 types of herbal materia medica were investigated for the presence of aflatoxins (AFs) using immunoaffinity column cleanup and HPLC-coupled to a fluorescence detector after post-column derivatization. AFs were detected in 373 (35%) out of the total samples. Among them, Platycladi Semen (65% for total AFs and 79% for AFB1), Corydalis Rhizoma (53% for total AFs and 32% for AFB1), Corni Fructus (3% for total AFs), Coicis Semen (3% for total AFs and AFB1), Nelumbinis Semen (6% for total AFs and 9% for AFB1), Arecae Semen (18% for AFB1), Polygalae Radix (5% for total AFs and AFB1), and Cassiae Semen (25% for total AFs and 38% for AFB1) exceeded the official limits of 5 and 10 μg/kg, for AFB1 and total AFs (the sum of AFB1, AFB2, AFG1, and AFG2), respectively, set by the Taiwan government. We concluded that Platycladi Semen, Corydalis Rhizoma, and Cassiae Semen are the most commonly contaminated by AFs. © 2018
Chien, M.-Y.; Yang, C.-M.; Huang, C.-M.; and Chen, C.-H.
"Investigation of aflatoxins contamination in herbal materia medica in a Taiwan pharmaceutical factory,"
Journal of Food and Drug Analysis: Vol. 26
, Article 10.
Available at: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfda.2018.01.016
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 4.0 License.